Get More Green Screen For Less Green Backs…
Enter your email to get the most current pictures of our Green Screen Studio in Los Angeles…
Also feel free to call Atomic 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Even if its 3:00 am – WE NEVER CLOSE! – 323-851-3825
Feel free to call Atomic 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Even if its 3:00 am – WE NEVER CLOSE!
Scroll to the bottom to see videos shot on our Green Screen
Why is our Green Screen Studio so different?
- Z24 hour shoot day (NO OVERTIME!!!)
- Z100% completion guarantee. (Free reshoot day)
- ZFree build days (save up to a whole day of location fees!)
- ZFree casting days (let your talent know how serious you are…)
- ZFree rehearsal days (maximize your shoot day with everyone on the same page)
- ZFree internet access (great for uploading large movie files)
- ZFree Pre light time (again, save up to a whole day of location fees!)
- ZFree on site studio manager (would you pay a parking lot attendant his hourly wage?)
- ZCoolest studio owner in Los Angeles (Hands Down)
- Z15,000 square feet (with almost 14,000 shootable)
- ZAll open space (no columns to get in the way)
- ZSmooth concrete floor (for when there is no time for track)
- ZAmazing under bridge day or night exterior (with access to power)
- ZAmazing industrial/urban exterior (in the rear of the facility)
- ZAwesome shootable roof top (with downtown Los Angeles view)
- ZSpacious green room (great for separating talent from the set)
- ZMulti car capacity in studio (big enough to get driving shots too!)
- ZWardrobe/dressing room (great for privacy from the rest of the studio)
- Z20 foot ceilings (great for those low angle shoots)
- ZGreen Screen Cyc (Over 200 linear feet with a 6 ft radius on the cyc even the big boys only have a 5 ft radius on their cyc)
- ZWhite Cyc (Over 200 linear feet also with the 6 ft radius on the cyc)
- ZBlack Void (48 linear feet)
- Z5 space loading dock for your production trucks (no need for lift gates
- ZParking for up to 100 cars (no extra charge!) (try finding that anywhere in Los Angeles)
- Z4 stall restrooms (No lines!) ( I hope...)
- Z2 huge roll up doors (to bring in cars trucks or large props)
- Z400 amps of house power (not bad for free)
- ZHeavy duty over head I beams (for wire work & stunts)
- ZAlmost 200 feet from one end to the other (for long lens shooting)
- ZHuge private shootable ally (easily fits 3 cars across with room in between.)
- ZCraft service Kitchen (my favorite part of a studio)
- ZPrivate Office (for the production team)
- ZDouble fenced in entrance (for extra security and control)
Green Screen rentals can be a little tricky in Los Angeles / Hollywood area. Any one with a large enough space can paint a wall green, light it more or less evenly and tell you they have a green screen studio for rent. Well, there needs to be a little more thought put in to it than that.
First of all a properly built green cyclorama plays a key part in the whole “evenly lit” part of the equation. Green walls that meet green floors at a 90 degree angle seem to have quite a problem being evenly lit. (See why this is true at the Lighting a green screen page of this site.) Standard green screen studios have what is known as a 3 foot green cyclorama this is measured from the 90 degree wall to the front of the green cyclorama where it meets the floor. Theoretically, the larger the green cyclorama, the better, at least until you hit the middle of the 90 degree wall, in which the green cyclorama should inverse to the ceiling. The perfect green cyc would look like you were shooting inside of a large green ball. All of that being said, a six foot green cyclorama would be easier to light than a 3 foot green cyclorama, so make sure that steer clear of the all to common 1 to 2 foot mini green cycloramas. It should almost go with out saying that the round corners of the cyc should be relatively smooth and not like inverted icing on a wedding cake. My rule of thumb is if you wouldn’t kneel on it with shorts on don’t shoot on it…
Second, keeping on the subject of physical characteristics of the green screen or cyc itself, the green paint on the cyc plays its own very important role in the green screen effect. The reflective properties of the dried chromakey green screen paint verses the $20.00 per gallon green house paint can make quite a difference in what’s known as radiosity in the 3-D world or the bounced back amount of the light that will ultimately hit your talent or product. The slightest bit of gloss or shine in the paint will amplify the falloff of the green bounced light, polluting the magenta tones in fair skin and even showing up on edges of dark or oily skin. You may have noticed in bad keys the talent looks noticeably skinnier around the arm and leg area also dark shinny hair will appear to lose much of its body. The subject will end up looking cut out and pasted in to a fake background. The proper chroma green paint does cost about three times more but for good reason. It has about the same reflective index as green chalk. When there is room this problem may be remedied by moving the subject further away from the rear green wall and/or side wall of a two wall green cyclorama. The problem is when the shot is full body, it a little difficult to move the talent off the floor, unless of course it’s a show about levitation. In addition to all previously mentioned, green screen walls and floors that have less than matt qualities also reflect back the actual light it self and show up as hot spots on the green screen wall and floor making it appear unevenly colored to the lens.
Third, when it comes to green screen rentals, size does matter. Along with the green bounce, proximity and distance from the green screen also heavily effect green spill and color pollution on to the talent or product. Green screens that are smaller than 40 x 40 of actual talent space are far better to just look at than to shoot on. When I say talent space I am not including anything behind the lens. The camera should have the freedom to shoot on the longer end of the lens and still be able to hold a full body shot. This will usually require an additional 20 to 40 feet or more to accomplish, giving you a green screen minimum size of 60ft wide and 40 to 60ft in deep.
When it comes to shooting a second camera angel, a second wall is needed or B camera will be looking off stage. This second green screen cyc is ideally attached to the first cyc with a horizontal and vertical union. Its at this union green screens get funky. So keep a sharp eye out for any unevenness that may not light evenly. The best thing to do is ask the stage manager to turn on the green screen lights during your location scout. Usually a series of space lights or kino-flo image 80s. These L shaped green screens are also known as 2 wall green cycs.
Atomic Studios is equipped with a large 3 wall cyc, that is usually painted as a 2 wall green and one wall white which reduces green spill due to not being totally surrounded by green bounce. Because of the size of our green screen your talent or product could stand in the middle of the stage and have the nearest side wall about 60 feet away as apposed to the studios that brag about their 3 wall green screen that constrains your talent or product about 15 feet from the 2 green light bouncing walls of a 30 x 30 three walled green cyc. Even if you are shooting one actor/actress, bigger green screen studios allow far more room to walk run or dance around. Our green screen cyc at Atomic Studios is big enough to shoot 1 – 60 full grown adults while moving from head to toe. Our green screen studio is also equipped with a six foot (radius) cyc making it much easier to light evenly than most cycs that exist. In fact, depending on the f-stop needed, we usually light the Atomic Studios green screen cyc with four to seven 3-6k space lights, drastically increasing the ability to shoot high speed frame rates as apposed to fluorescent fixtures.
In closing, no matter what shape, how big, or how green, your green screen is, make 100% sure to not have time limits at the studio that you choose. Even the most experienced green screen technicians run in to problems here and there and the last thing any green screen production needs is a grumpy stage manager (in a hurry to get home and play X-Box) on your back rushing things. Saying that you can fix green screen problems in post can a very time consuming and costly statement. Atomic Studios green screen rentals are always for 24hr time periods.
We are switching our website to a new more stable and easy to update platform. We apologize for this inconvenience. Our programmer says that we should be complete with this update very soon…
Here are just a few of the many shoots
that happened on Atomic’s Green Screen
Thank so much,